14 dozen eggs. That’s how many eggs I had after being able to finally function. I was out of commission the past few weeks. I was barely able to get animals taken care of. The hot days were fine, but when the cold damp nights hit, my knees went crazy as did the Fibro. By the time I could start functioning about mid-day, the cold and damp were moving in again a couple of hours later. Such is summer in our area of New England. Unfortunately, keeping on top of eggs went by the wayside.
Since the days were making the house quite warm, I knew some of these were most likely bad. Thus started my 4 hour journey of sorting eggs while tripping over hopeful dogs. Seriously, all 4 of them were under my feet praying doggy prayers for an egg to drop. Unfortunately for them, I wouldn’t have let them eat it. Later on, they did get an egg each from the “good” egg pile.
First up was the water test. If the egg floats to the top, the air pocket has grown which means bacteria has probably started forming. We don’t want that.
This is a bad egg. The air inside is keeping it afloat. Sometimes it’s actually okay to eat, but I cracked a some of the “floaters” open later, and a few of them made me regret it for the rest of the day. If we raised pigs, they would’ve had eggs for dinner.
A good egg stays under water. A fresh egg will lay on its side. This egg is still edible, but is up on end, so it needs to be eaten soon. Our eggs are used by date laid, so it will find its way into an omelet within the next few days since it’s up on end.
All the floaters. I was quite sad to see this. If I didn’t need the shells, I would advertise in a local farming group and a pig farmer would come get them.
I did manage to salvage a little under half the eggs. They were washed and laid out to dry. They won’t be for sale, so I coated them with coconut oil for long-term storage. I’ve kept eggs up to 6 months in the fridge or basement using this method. Use at your own risk. I always crack the eggs into a bowl before adding them to any recipe. It allows me to lose only a possible bad egg and not all the ingredients I was about to add it to.
Since I need calcium for the chickens and garden, most of the bad eggs were cracked and dumped. As I posted earlier, a few made me regret that decision. The shells were washed and laid out on a cookie sheet. I will put this in the sun to dry and sanitize. I don’t normally do this, but since they ran amuck, I want to make sure the bacteria is halted. The sun is an excellent sanitizer, and it means I won’t have to heat my house up by using the oven. When they’re ready, I will crush them up using a bag and hammer or the blender. It depends on my frustration level. I may need to beat something.